Art at Eaton Bray Academy
Our Art Curriculum
At Eaton Bray Academy we recognise the importance of providing a broad and balanced curriculum, which is accessible by all children. Art and Design is a vital part of children’s education and has a significant and valuable role in the taught curriculum. We believe that our Art and Design curriculum allows children to:
- Express their individual interests, thoughts and ideas through a variety of different media.
- Become confident and proficient in a variety of techniques including drawing, painting, sculpting, as well as other selected craft skills, including collage, printing, weaving and patterns.
- Develop an understanding of the visual elements of art and design (line, tone, texture, colour, pattern, shape, 3D form).
- Use their sketchbooks to good effect.
- Develop self-expression and creativity, providing them with key skills for later life.
- Develop their artistic knowledge and the skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art.
- Develop their understanding of their own and others’ cultural heritages through studying a range of male and female artists from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Develop an awareness of how art and design has reflected and shaped our history and has contributed to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
- Develop their understanding of the visual language of art with effective teaching and considered sequences of lessons and experiences.
- Reach their full creative potential.
- Critically analyse their own work and that of others using appropriate vocabulary.
Through art we encourage children to express themselves creatively, and provide them with the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for them to express their responses to ideas and experiences in a visual or tactile form. It fires their imagination and is a fundamental means of personal expression. Children have the opportunity to develop confidence, particularly those children who may struggle in other, seemingly more academic, subjects. Much of the art-work created is displayed in and around the school, providing pupils with a real purpose for the work they create, and showcasing the skills and progress they have made.
The Art and Design curriculum at Eaton Bray Academy is grounded in the school’s values and beliefs and enables pupils to develop their creativity and self-expression as well as allowing them to build confidence and resilience. We ensure that art lessons at EBA are inclusive and are carried out in a safe environment, in which the children are able to take risks and are provided with the opportunity to reach their potential, as high expectations are set. Lessons offer the chance for children to develop their emotional expression through art to further enhance their personal, social and emotional development. Our values are taught throughout our Art curriculum as we encourage the children to be kind, honest, responsible, appreciative, resilient and courageous in everything that they do.
As they go through the school, pupils will experience a sequenced programme of learning so that they develop an understanding and knowledge of key artistic skills. Children will develop their interest and curiosity about art and design through carefully planned lessons offering skills progression, knowledge progression and offering children the opportunity to ask questions and demonstrate their skills in a variety of ways.
As a consequence of experiencing a rich, deep and varied art curriculum our children will develop a positive attitude toward art. They will build in confidence and will develop artistic skills, knowledge and understanding allowing them to produce creative and imaginative pieces of work.
Progression of Skills in the Art Curriculum
At Eaton Bray Academy the progression of skills in Art is clearly set out throughout each stage of a child’s learning.