Geography at Eaton Bray Academy
Our Geography Curriculum
At Eaton Bray Academy we believe that our Geography curriculum reflects Geography as
- Inspiring in pupils a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives.
- Skills in using directions, maps, compasses, observation, making comparisons and analysing evidence.
- Knowledge of places, people, resources, natural and human environments and an understanding of the Earth’s physical processes.
- Understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes.
- Attitudes towards Geography which reflect our school values – Kind – Honest – Responsible – Appreciative – Resilient – Courageous and which ensure that children use their skills and knowledge in the best way possible.
- Collaboration and co-operation with other subjects across the school to deepen skills further.
It is our intent for the Geography element of the EBA curriculum to inspire pupils with a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. We intend to equip children with geographical skills to develop their knowledge through studying places, people and natural and human environments. We aim to deepen their understanding of the Earth’s human and physical forms and processes.
We want our children to gain confidence and have practical experiences of geographical knowledge, understanding and skills that explain how the Earth’s features at different scales are shaped, interconnected and change over time. We intend to use our school grounds and local area, (where relevant) so that our pupils have a good understanding of where they live as well as an understanding of other places in the UK and abroad.
Geography, by nature, is an investigative subject. Through our teaching, we intend to provoke thought, questions and to encourage children to discover answers to their own questions through exploration and research to enable them to gain a greater understanding and knowledge of the world and their place in it.
Progression of Skills in the Geography Curriculum
At Eaton Bray Academy the progression of skills in Geography is clearly set out throughout each stage of a child’s learning.